I am glad to present Adblock Plus
One of the most popular Firefox add-ons, Adblock Plus, is a content-filtering extension for Firefox that prevents nearly 99% of web advertisements and banners from being downloaded and subsequently displayed. Now it is available for MicroB!
The installation process is straightforward:
- Install the ABP (Adblock Plus) package by clicking here. Remember to restart your browser.
- You might see a red button in the bottom-right corner. It is a shortcut to the ABP preferences window. When you tap it, it suggests that you define a set of filters to effectively use ad blocking.
- You can select filters from the following list filter subscriptions. Note that you should not enable more subscriptions than you really need as this increases the possibility of blocking legitimate content and might slow down your browsing experience.
If you get in trouble see the Notes section at the end of this post.
Blocking and whitelisting
As soon as you define filters that match ads, the ads will no longer appear. Here is an example of how a page (ebaumsworld.com) looks with before/after using Adblock Plus:
Adblock Plus Disabled
Adblock Plus Enabled
The following steps will enable you to select pages and domains that bypass Adblock Plus by defining a whitelist:
- Open the page or a page from the domain you wish to whitelist.
- Click the ABP button to open the preferences pop up window.
- Check "Disable on this page only" or "Disable on (the current domain)".
Unfortunately I could not port all the Adblock Plus features, for example:
- Block image: is provided in Firefox by extending the context sensitive menu (CSM) and the MicroB CSM cannot be changed.
- Show tabs on Flash and Java applets: this uses XBL to add the tab around those objects and interact with the ABP preferences.
ABP provides some preferences you can set in Firefox but not in MicroB, most of them are dependent on XUL or XBL, a full listing of these preferences is available.
The most important options available are in the ABP preferences pop up.
The extensions.adblockplus.showinstatusbar preference controls whether the ABP button is visible in the bottom-right corner of web pages.
- ABP button tries to open a pop up window, you must allow your browser to open it.